Friday, January 15, 2016

Acrylic Masking Tape Background Tutorial

I have been collecting background techniques for ATCs and other projects for years now. And now I thought it would be fun to share some with you.

My first background technique I call acrylic masking tape background (creative, huh?). It's a pretty neat background as it takes on different colors.



Here are the supplies you need:                             
🔹cardstock or other heavy backing
🔹masking tape
🔹three colors of acrylic craft paint
🔹a cloth












Start by cutting your background the size you need. For an ATC, I like to use a playing card. The project I'm doing now is for 5x5 journal page swap.

Next start ripping your masking tape. My pieces are generally between 1 and 3 inches. You can start putting the tape pieces on your backing or you can wait till you have
several. Up to you. Put them on your backing in a random fashion. You can fold the tape pieces over at the edges.


When you're done, it should look something like this:


Next, add a dollop of one of your acrylic colors.


And spread it around with your finger.


Till it's all over your card or page.


Now using your cloth, wipe a lot to mostly of it away.


Do this again with your other two remaining colors.

















I decided I had wiped too much of the purple away in the beginning so I added a little more of that color and wiped it away.


When I was all done, here is what I was left with:


You should be able to see all the edges of the tape in a variety of colors. Cool, huh?

Sometimes a bit of the tape will curl up from all the rubbing. When this happens to me, I pull out a glue stick and mend the ends.


Now you have a fun new background for your ATCs, or whatever project strikes your fancy.

Here is my finished 5x5 journal page. I hope my swap partner likes it.


If you decide to give this technique a try, I'd love it if you left a link to a photo of it in the comments section. I'll only share it if you want me to.

No comments:

Post a Comment